X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 - Windfield Challenge (Annapolis, MD), April 17th, 18th, 19th

Welcome to the 1st Annual Windfield Challenge!

The Windfield Challenge will be held on April 17th - 19th. This event will be held on private property and registration will be limited to 20 vehicles. Registration fee is $75.00. A driver and co-driver are required for each team registration.

Primitive camping will be provided in a single large field. Camp sites are first come, first serve. Attendees are encouraged to bring firewood in the form of shipping pallets. Food and drink for the event will be the responsibility of the individual teams and team members.

The tentative schedule is as follows:

Friday

3:00pm - 7:30pm (If any later, please contact ahead of time)
    Check in and registration
    Campsite setup
    Meet and Greet
    10:30pm Camp Quiet

Saturday

8:00am - 9:30am
    Vehicle inspection
    -seat belts
    -all lug nuts accounted for and tight
    -minimum 20 psi air pressure
    -all batteries secure
    -rear tow/extraction point
    parking/emergency brake functional

9:30am - until?
    Vehicle challenges
    6pm tentatively
    Back to camp for libations and camaraderie.
    10:30pm Camp Quiet

Sunday

8am-9:30am
    Vehicle inspection
    -seat belts
    -all lug nuts accounted for and tight
    -minimum 20 psi air pressure
    -vehicle battery secure
    -rear tow/extraction point
    parking/emergency brake functional

9:30-Until?
    Event challenges
    Break camp
    Clean up all trash and debris
    Tread lightly rules do apply.
    Clean up after yourself

Rules and regulations:
    - waivers signed and event fees must be paid upon arrival
    - no weapons of any sort (camping knives are allowed)
    - no alcohol while participating on events
    - no unsanctioned night runs
    - seat belts are mandatory at all times
    - competitors must enter all events to be eligible for trophy

ANY VIOLATIONS WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION AND YOU WILL RESOLVE TO BE A SPECTATOR AND THERE IS NO REFUND

For questions or registration inquiries, please post your request on this forum - or contact me (SALTY1) and I will provide you with contact information for the event coordinator.

SALTY1

My truck has two speeds - FAST and TREE.

- Socrates

Thanks to everyone that helped to arrange the 2015 Windfield Challenge! It was great meeting and wheeling with all of you guys this weekend. There was an impressive collection of experience and knowledge at the event, and safety was absolutely a priority - that was apparent. Thanks to RoverPat for coordinating the event and keeping everyone happy and safe.

Here are some photos that I took during the weekend. We had a total of about 15 trucks come out for the event, but only about 8 of them competed in the challenges; the others drove the trails with us and participated in the events that they wanted to. All trucks were welcome to participate in events and trails, but weren't eligible for prizes unless they competed in all challenges.

Pictures!!!

- Socrates

Comment

Thanks to RoverPat and everyone that helped arrange, coordinate, and operate the 2015 Windfield Challenge! The event was a great success. There were about 15 trucks total that came out to the event, but only about 8 of them competed in the challenges. We had a few well-equipped Jeeps come out to play, a Tacoma, an FJ80, a FreeLander, one LR3, and the rest were all Land Rover Discovery's (including mine).

The challenges were fun, varied, and challenging. Some of the challenges included a formal driving course with cones (like a drivers license test) where the driver had to navigate a course which included straight-aways, U-turns, reversing, parallel parking, and slalom... all of which is timed, of course. The event admin ran the course twice for all of the competitors to watch and learn. He ran the course slowly and at "full speed" so that we could get a good feel for it. Then, each competitor got to run the course two times, and their best time was used for scoring. Missing a gate came with a 10-second penalty, and touching a cone was a 5-second penalty. During my first run - I was distracted by my co-pilot standing in the middle of the course taking video and missed an important gate, and had to go back and do it over. My first run was 116 seconds... my second run was 60 seconds (which included a 5-second penalty for demolishing one cone).

Another challenge was the "Water Bowl Challenge", in which the team had a large bowl attached to their hood with a net, and exactly 1 gallon of water was poured into the bowl at the starting line. The goal was to reach the finish line with as much water left in the bowl as possible - there was no time limit, you could go as slow as you wanted to. I came in last place during this event, mostly because 3 feet into the course, I decided that instead of keeping water in the bowl, it was now my goal to see how much mud I could get INTO the bowl by the end of the course. The winner of this event was the LR3 with its computerized ride control and automatic suspension features... we all called it "cloud mode" because it appeared to be floating rather than driving through most of the course.

Then there was the "Spare Tire" challenge. In this event, the driver and the co-pilot start inside of a parked truck with the doors closed. When the timer started, the driver had to get out, retrieve all items required to change a tire from the vehicle and touch the jack to the frame; we didn't actually have to lift the truck, though. During this time, the co-pilot would have to run about 50 yards through the woods and retrieve a 37" tire and bring it back to the truck. I'm just guessing, but that tire and rim probably weighed about 80-100 pounds. Getting the tire back to the truck would have been relatively easy if it weren't for the logs and fallen trees in the way. Once the tire reached the truck, the team had to put all of the equipment back in place (you couldn't just throw it in the back seat), return the 37" tire back to its starting point, and get the truck to the finish line. Every team threw the tire in the back of the trucks and drove it to the finish line. It was a fun and exhausting event. It was during this event that I came over a hill too fast, hit a patch of wet leaves and was lucky enough to make the acquaintance of a nice mature tree at the bottom of the hill. After a short conversation with the tree, I backed up and continued along my way.

The last challenge of the weekend was called "The Gauntlet", which was intended to be a winching exercise. This challenge was removed from the official event since too many of the participants were winch-less. Three trucks ran this course for fun, and all three made it through under their own power - but winches were ready and waiting, if needed. The three trucks that tried this course and made it through were two Jeep Sports and one Land Rover Discovery (mine) - all with mud terrain tires ranging from 10.5 inches to 13.5 inches wide.

Outside of the challenges, we spent a good amount of time driving trails, playing kickball, eating, drinking, and having a great time. In my opinion, this event was a great success. I hope to see more trucks and challenges next year.

- Socrates

Comment

- Socrates

Comment

- Socrates

Comment

- Socrates

Comment

- Socrates

Comment

- Socrates

Comment

- Socrates

Comment

Here's a video that I put together of the Windfield Challenge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aCrewBWPcE

- Socrates

Comment

Working...
                    X